Zoids: New Century, also known as Zoids: ZERO, or Zoids: New Century / Zero (ゾイド新世紀／ゼロ Zoido Shinseiki Surasshu Zero), is an anime television series created by Makoto Mizobuchi in 2001 by Shogakukan, Inc. It is the third Zoids series created, based on the range of mecha models produced by TOMY. This series was the first Zoids series to be dubbed in English and released in the US. In other English-speaking countries, such as the UK and Australia, Zoids: Chaotic Century was aired first, with New Century following later (in line with the original production order). The series has 26 episodes that ran for an average of 25 minutes.
New Century is set in a timeline that has no material connections to the previous Zoids Anime series. New Century is primarily set in a rural environment, with Zoid battles taking place in designated arenas; typically open countryside. Zoid battles are formal competitive games run by the Zoid Battle Commission, are regulated by a set of rules and are governed by judges.
The plot of New Century follows the actions of Bit Cloud, starting with his employment as a member of the Blitz Team. The series is highly episodic, with every episode featuring a battle between the Blitz Team and one of their numerous rivals.
The most noteworthy adversary of the Blitz Team is the Backdraft Group, which organise illicit unsanctioned Zoid battles. Unsanctioned Zoid battles have no rules and the stakes are typically high, as the Backdraft typically take an opposing teams' Zoids should they win. The series culminates with the Backdraft attempting to usurp the Zoid Battle Commission for control of Zoid Battles, but despite destroying much of the Commission's judge infrastructure, are ultimately unsuccessful in their efforts.
- For detailed information, see each character's respective pages on the table provided below
|New Century Characters|
Bit Cloud | Leena Toros | Brad Hunter | Jamie Hemeros | Steve Toros | Leon Toros
Kirkland | Omari | Lineback
Harry Champ | Benjamin | Sebastian | Mary Champ
Leon Toros | Naomi Fluegel
Jack Cisco | Chris Tasker | Kelly Tasker
Zoid Battle Commission | Oscar Hemeros
| Backdraft Organization |
|Zoid Battle Pilots|
Vega Obscura | Fuma | Ehga | Koga | Negola | Pierce | Major Polta | Sanders | Stigma Stoller
Sarah | Dr. Laon | Altile | Count | Dark Judge
- The following is a list of characters who as of yet do not have a page
- Count: The supreme commander of the Backdraft. Little is known about him, aside from his role as the head of the Backdraft. English voice actor: Colin Murdock
In the Western release of New Century, several scenes were removed from the show entirely. These scenes contain what were considered inappropriate material for the Western audience, and include:
- Episode 15: which featured Dr. Layon in a bar drinking alcohol.
- Episode 18: a scene where Judge is lifting weights, and then shown in the shower (This is the episode where one of Harry Champ's robots falls in love with a judge. In the English version, the judge was female, but the Japanese version has it as a male. Interestingly, Zoids Legacy left this judge as a "judgeman" like all the others.).
- Episode 22: Harry's (male) robots are shown rubbing each other with lotion at the beach while wearing female bathing suits.
- The Magna Pacific DVD release of Zoids: New Century has a small "Easter egg"- by clicking on the small, white, left-hand trigger button at the menu screen, it is possible to view more Zoid and Pilot profiles than are normally available under the "Zoids Profiles" button.
- Highlighting the episodic nature of the series, and the orientation toward the fight scenes, the Magna Pacific DVD prominently features a "Battle" button, allowing the viewer to skip directly to the main fight scene.
- From numerous small cameos that appear in the series, it is possible to establish that New Century occurs in the same setting (albeit some time after) as the events of Zoids: Guardian Force.
- A Graphic Novel of New Century exists (the English version is published by Viz Media). The events of the anime and the novel differ substantially.
Zoids that are introduced for the first time in new century:
- Berserk Fury
- Hover Cargo
- Liger Zero
- Shadow Fox
- Spino Sapper
- 1. "Commence Battle - Attack Liger Zero"
- 2. "New Partners vs. Naomi the Red Comet"
- 3. "The Prince Arrives - Harry Champ"
- 4. "Unsanctioned Battle - The Mysterious Backdraft Group"
- 5. "High Speed Battle - Transforming into Zero Jager"
- 6. "The Dark Giant - The Invincible Elephander"
- 7. "The Desert Gang - The Hovercargo's in Danger"
- 8. "Invasion of the Fierce Tigers - Transform to Zero Schneider"
- 9. "The Princess Arrives - Mary Champ"
- 10. "Desert Tusk - Assault of the Warsharks"
- 11. "The Sensational Three - Rematch with Jack Cisco"
- 12. "Zero is Stolen - The Fiery Battle"
- 13. "The Brave Wild Eagle - The Raynos Vs The Zabat"
- 14. "Frightday the 13th"
- 15. "Laon Returns - Anti-gravity Catastrophe"
- 16. "The Red Rival - Leon Toros Returns"
- 17. "Warriors on Vacation - The Storm Sworders"
- 18. "Love on the Battlefield - My Love the Judge"
- 19. "The Third Conversion - Zero Panzer's Debut"
- 20. "The Shadow Fox - Brad's Betrayal"
- 21. "Harry's Disaster - Dr. Laon Traps Toros"
- 22. "The Dragon Under the Sea - In Search of the Ultimate X"
- 23. "The Dragon Awakens - The Berserk Fury Enters the Fray"
- 24. "The Tournament of Heroes - The Royal Cup"
- 25. "Survival - The Mystery of the Ultimate X"
- 26. "The Miracle of Zero - The Wind, The Cloud, and Adventure"
- "No Future" by Nanase Aikawa
"No Future" is the opening theme to Zoids: New Century. It is performed by Aikawa Nanase, and was released on maxi-single January 2001 (with Dearest: my friend as the b-side). The original release of the single comes with an additional paper front piece showing the characters from Zoids: Zero, though the case itself has a picture of Aikawa Nanase. The full instrumental version (which was used as the US ending theme, as the dub did not use the original intro) is available only on the /Zero soundtrack, which was a limited release in 2001 and came packaged in a dual-CD sized case despite being a single disc. This may have been to make room for the Liger Zero gashapon-style keychain that was included as a bonus.
- "Sasuraibito" by DASEIN
- "No Future (Instrumental)" by Nanase Aikawa (U.S. Ending)
New Century appears under many different names. The Japanese title is given as ゾイド新世紀／ゼロ or ゾイド新世紀スラッシュゼロ, literally "Zoids New Century/Zero" or "Zoids New Century Slash Zero" respectively. The English name likewise has different forms. On the Magna Pacific DVDs and the Viz Media Visual Novel, it is called "Zoids New Century". In Zoids Legacy, it is called "Zoids ZERO". On the Cartoon Network TV broadcasts and USA DVDs is it called "Zoids", with no additional titles.
This wiki predominantly uses "Zoids: New Century", as it features in the majority of English-language releases, while remaining unambiguous.